Air Layering

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Re: Air Layering

Post by Daluke »

Great work on the mikawa. I suspect the smell is probably from the damp moss and roots transpiring.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9

Post by TimS »

Updating a week or two after separation of the last layer, all have done very well but none better than the original Kotohime i separated 9 days after seeing roots in the bag for SuperBonSaiyan

Original Kotohime Layer for SuperBonSaiyan base growth now really going mental. If nothing else this should help to get the base to flare a bit even if not needed in future design.
KOTSUPA.jpg
/

Here's the shoot extension on the top of the tree since layering was done
KOTSUPB.jpg
KOTSUPC.jpg

Here's what i'm calling the main layer; the large section i purchased the tree for in the first place. Very healthy since separation and even just pushing roots into the spagnum from above the air layer line
KOTM.jpg
KOTMB.jpg

Shishi cump A
SHIA.jpg

Shishi clumb B
SHIB.jpg

Shishi layer C. Hopefully it buds back near the trunk but if not then i just cut the thick stem and use the lower thinner branch as the continued trunk line.
SHIC.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SuperBonSaiyan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by SuperBonSaiyan »

Checked my 3 shindeshojo layers today. Grand Total of one root between the three.

Some of the layers were too wet so it's a good thing i checked. Dried them out a bit. Hopefully they will take in the next few months.
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Daluke »

Dominating the maples guys - I haven’t had much successes.

Rooted a millettia japonica and crab.

Waiting on a magnolia and euonymus.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

SuperBonSaiyan wrote: February 12th, 2023, 7:52 pm Checked my 3 shindeshojo layers today. Grand Total of one root between the three.

Some of the layers were too wet so it's a good thing i checked. Dried them out a bit. Hopefully they will take in the next few months.
I just purchased a young shin Deshojo to give it one more opportunity to layer for me come spring before I just write this cultivar off as not worthwhile air layer material

Might try cuttings as well if I have the material on the tree, but just cut it back due to powdery mildew and sprayed it and all my maples. I’d forgotten how insanely susceptible shin Deshojo is to powdery mildew :tounge:
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

Daluke wrote: February 13th, 2023, 7:15 am Dominating the maples guys - I haven’t had much successes.

Rooted a millettia japonica and crab.

Waiting on a magnolia and euonymus.
Good job on those two you had success with, air layers are never a guarantee, and you can have them root out but grow awful roots too. Not every layer is a perfect radial set of roots and few ever are.

Magnolia sounds cool, Stellata or a different one?
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Daluke »

Stellata.
SuperBonSaiyan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by SuperBonSaiyan »

Two of my Mikawa Yatsabusa layers were suffering today from the heat. Their leaves had crinkled up by the late afternoon.

I'm going to move them indoors tomorrow, and hope they survive.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Moving them indoor today is a good idea. As long as the roots didn’t dry out they will be fine. JM leaves are very susceptible to dry out in late summer heat.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

I’ve moved just about all my trees in doors today, they have taken over the living room! I heard 36 degrees and windy afternoon and noped out of that. Not worth the risky with JM

Had a few mature trees get leaf burn from one windy night, not worth it with heat as well. Working on a shade house as we speak to save the ritual of moving trees indoors
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

I like the look of this one TimS ... from afar at any rate.
SHIA.jpg
Has nice subtle movement and the trunks are kinda dancing to the same tune from what I can see.
Good work with the layers...
:yes:

In other news ... I got your pic to align correctly!
Basically all I did was open it in photo viewer, rotate it 90deg ... then rotate back and save. It's a trick that has worked for me before and seemed to be succesful with your images too. I think it can be any image viewer/editor, it doesn't make a difference.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

Ryceman3 wrote: February 16th, 2023, 1:46 pm I like the look of this one TimS ... from afar at any rate.
SHIA.jpg
Has nice subtle movement and the trunks are kinda dancing to the same tune from what I can see.
Good work with the layers...
:yes:

In other news ... I got your pic to align correctly!
Basically all I did was open it in photo viewer, rotate it 90deg ... then rotate back and save. It's a trick that has worked for me before and seemed to be succesful with your images too. I think it can be any image viewer/editor, it doesn't make a difference.
Tried your top tip there but sadly still firmly showing to me as the wrong way oriented :shock: Ah well, still correct way when you click on it so at least that is working
indoor bonsai.jpg

That layer you mention has some definite promise to it, the main central trunk does move away from view down low, but with a bit of wiring/ training i can make it come back towards again. One of the reasons i love Shishigashira so much is that is it's natural habit on show right there. Strongly upward, gentle movements and very compact growth. For shohin it's hard to beat that combo unless you are going for more cascading style trees.

Doesn't hurt either that it tends to be one of the few JM cultivars i get reliable autumn colour from here at sea level bayside. Mostly the other ones get burnt during summer long before i get a chance to see the autumn show. Shade house isn't too far away now, so hopefully this is the last summer of crispy JM.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

AC195164-EFA7-4A85-98E5-13FDFDB5252F.jpeg
Just sayin’… ;)
#itsnotmeitsyou :P
Just playin’ mate, no idea why you are still sideways!
:beer:
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Ryceman3 wrote: February 16th, 2023, 8:57 pm Just playin’ mate, no idea why you are still sideways!
I note that:
TimS's image has no EXIF orientation information
R3's version has EXIF orientation information

It seems that this information is being stripped from the thumbnails at some point or perhaps the site cannot interpret it since the images are correctly orientated when selected :lost:
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

terryb wrote: February 20th, 2023, 12:07 pm
Ryceman3 wrote: February 16th, 2023, 8:57 pm Just playin’ mate, no idea why you are still sideways!
I note that:
TimS's image has no EXIF orientation information
R3's version has EXIF orientation information

It seems that this information is being stripped from the thumbnails at some point or perhaps the site cannot interpret it since the images are correctly orientated when selected :lost:
Absolute mystery, id try taking a photo with my other phone instead of my shitty Iphone 8, but my other phone is also an Iphone 8 :lol:

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”