bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Melaleuca Styphelioides..Stage two..Lightning Struck

Post by bodhidharma »

I finally made a decision on my Mel as to its design and its future incarnation. An Australian Native, alone on a hill, a wild night of storms and it is struck by a massive lightning bolt. The strike blows it apart but it survives . Half shattered it struggles for years and finally heals itself completely and continues on with its life. That is our mighty Aussie Native. That is my imagination running wild but i have made a beginning. After collecting the Mel and being told that it is a good Bonsai subject i have gotten the tree healthy and its new foliage is popping out everywhere. The Tree is now in a temporary pot and i already have the new pot selected. I have completed the carving and i am now starting to develop its branching. I am treating it like an exotic in its branch development and if other learned Aussie native people can advise me if that is the way or not that would be appreciated. :reading: The tree is LARGE being 280mm wide at its base. I am tip pruning it lightly at the moment and it has tremendous back budding. I am hoping for that one Aussie Native tree in my collection (which is rather small) that people look at and go HOLY GHOST..i want one :hooray: ALL advice on this project would be mightely appreciated so this :palm: does not happen to this tree.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bodhidharma on December 28th, 2010, 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Ash
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: ausbonsai

Re: Melaleuca Styphelioides..Stage two..Lightning Struck

Post by Ash »

This looks like a fun project bodhi and it looks like good material to execute it with. They grow strongly as you no doubt have already discovered. I would constantly give it a light trim as you grow it out, even when it is 'growing on'. That way the branches will wire better and back bud better should you need to do more hard pruning. I have only one problem with it however. That beautiful green shallow pot. I don't think you should use it :shake: Because I think you should sell it to me :!: :fc:

cheers
Ash
NBPCA
National Bonsai and Penjing Collection of Australia
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: All Australian Clubs

Post by NBPCA »

It will be interesting to see you shoe horn that bonsai into such a shallow pot; however if it works it will be very dramatic.

Grant
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

NBPCA wrote:It will be interesting to see you shoe horn that bonsai into such a shallow pot; however if it works it will be very dramatic.

Grant
:fc: :fc: :fc: Here's hoping Grant.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
NBPCA
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: All Australian Clubs

Post by NBPCA »

Don't forget that all the Melaleucas love water(and most aussie natives in fact ) so they fill the pots with roots very quickly and can dry out quickly.

An interesting project.

Grant
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFFF00]Aus[/color][color=#40FF40]Bonsai[/color]

Post by Mitchell »

That base is amazing! My personal preference would be to blow torch the new carved area black. Although the mighty tree would have healed itself after many years, a blown out lightning struck tree usually holds charred black burnt heartwood for the rest of its life.

You could remove that jin, but I'm thinking a white jin coming out of the burnt black heartwood would be a great contrast. Might look a bit unusual though.
I think your aiming for many years down the track after the strike, but when I think "lightning struck" the first image after "black burnt" is "splintered". Not sure it is feasible, but what about taking some shari nips and pulling some big splinters out from the top of the carved area. Pull them down and slightly curl them. My preference would then to be burn/blacken them.

Just my :2c: , love your story and it works well, just would like to see a bit more drama to re-enforce it.
Of coarse you may already have some black deadwood planned any how.

Can't wait to see where you go with it. Keep us posted. :tu:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mitchell on December 28th, 2010, 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Mitchell.

"It is one thing to shape a tree into form, but when you are able to convincingly deceive ones perception of reality, something much more is accomplished than just a simple bonsai."

"In a perfect world, we would all be giants and all plants Bonsai."

"Grow big, finish small."

Image Join Ausbonsai today Click Here! Image
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Nice Bodhi :-)
Going to be beautiful in the new pot

I have one Somewhat somilar myself I collected last year. It is powering on with new growth and I will be putting some wire on this arvo hopefully.
I have a similar idea as you as to the carving to be done, but I will take more out I think the make the tree quite hollow.

I will look forward to updates of this one of yours

ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Thanks for that Mitchell. Hmmm..i am not so sure i like it that black. When i am ready to burn it i will P.M Pup and get lots of advice as to whether you you can vary the blackening. :?: Hopefully he will guide me as to the best look.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

kcpoole wrote:Nice Bodhi :-)

I have one Somewhat somilar myself I collected last year. It is powering on with new growth and I will be putting some wire on this arvo hopefully.
I have a similar idea as you as to the carving to be done, but I will take more out I think the make the tree quite hollow.

ken
Hi Ken..at what stage are you wiring branches? When it is soft new growth or are you waiting for it to harden off.
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFFF00]Aus[/color][color=#40FF40]Bonsai[/color]

Post by Mitchell »

bodhidharma wrote:Thanks for that Mitchell. Hmmm..i am not so sure i like it that black. When i am ready to burn it i will P.M Pup and get lots of advice as to whether you you can vary the blackening. :?: Hopefully he will guide me as to the best look.

I would not, go as black as the virt. It is in shadow, if it was a shot in the sun I would like to see many varying shades and texture. I blow torch it black, then hit it with a steel brush and remove the black on areas to give it that patchy look.

Definitely not jet black, like the shadowed virt.
Regards, Mitchell.

"It is one thing to shape a tree into form, but when you are able to convincingly deceive ones perception of reality, something much more is accomplished than just a simple bonsai."

"In a perfect world, we would all be giants and all plants Bonsai."

"Grow big, finish small."

Image Join Ausbonsai today Click Here! Image
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

G,day Bohdi, I like the story this tree is telling :reading: also the one you are :tu: . However as all ways there is one, that pot I think is over ambitious.
The same pot with at least double that depth, otherwise you will struggle to keep it alive, unless you do as Grant says, permanent, water tray which then takes away what you want, a nice looking tree in a shallow pot.

When it comes to hollowing out do it slowly so you can see where you are going. Some of the growth is close to the edges might suffer and not survive.
The idea that Mitchell has suggested with the wire brush is what I do. Also a water based paint mix of Fremantle Sail ( from Mitre 10 ) then wire brush gives the old wind blown affect of old burnt wood. also lime sulphur and India or Sumi ink, you can add as you need for lighter or darker.

When using the Blowtorch cover the live foliage with a damp cloth, but also be careful not to spend too much time, at one time near the foliage.

Looking forward to this trees development. Cheers :fc: Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

bodhidharma wrote:
kcpoole wrote:Nice Bodhi :-)

ken
Hi Ken..at what stage are you wiring branches? When it is soft new growth or are you waiting for it to harden off.
They are about 10mm Diameter
Quite firm, but still bendable but not too far
See other thread fro pics
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

NBPCA wrote:Don't forget that all the Melaleucas love water(and most aussie natives in fact ) so they fill the pots with roots very quickly and can dry out quickly.

An interesting project.

Grant
I am toying with the idea (actually becoming sold on the idea) that i could get a water tray that is ascetically in keeping with the pot. Like the show stand it is sitting on. one that it actually sits in or just on top off.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Melaleuca Styphelioides..Stage three..Lightning Struck

Post by bodhidharma »

It has now been a year for this tree and i made the decision to carve, trim and repot the tree today. I was disappointed with its root system and repotted into a much more free draining mix. I kept the pot the same because of the root system. The carving went well and i now have a good selection of secondary branching to work with. I will let it recoup and then wire and treat the carving.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Nice Project Bodi :clap:
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.

Return to “Melaleuca”