Claret Top Pruning Question - can I cut back to no leaves?

Incana, Lanceolata, Linariifolia, Rhaphiophylla, Styphelioides etc
stroven2022
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives
Bonsai Age: 0

Claret Top Pruning Question - can I cut back to no leaves?

Post by stroven2022 »

G'day!

I bought 3 Claret Top whips from Bonsai World back in winter with the plan of creating a group setting. Since then I have just kept them watered in their original pots and they have been happy enough. They have grown a bit bigger and bushier so I am taking action to keep them in check for when I create the setting. Starting with a root trim and relocation to a smaller pot.

My question is around pruning. From what I understand, there is a general rule to cut back some foliage when doing a big root prune in order to balance out the energy distribution of a tree.

But, specific to the Melaleuca, what happens if I cut back a branch so that it no longer has any foliage at all? Can I expect back-budding to occur on the wood or would the branch probably die off?

So far I have just given this one a haircut to be safe but am thinking about getting a bit more aggressive on the apex to try and shorten the overall height slightly.

Here's some pics just for fun:

Before:
before.jpeg
After:
after.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Claret Top Pruning Question - can I cut back to no leaves?

Post by shibui »

I think we have 2 different sides of the same coin going on with this question.
Mel 'Claret tops' will definitely sprout buds on old, bare wood so it can be chopped down to a stump and still grow new shoots.

However...
After root pruning the tree needs to grow new roots. To do that it needs energy which it gets from leaves. Pruning hard after root pruning can slow the growth or new roots and set the tree back considerably, maybe even kill it.
Some species can cope with root prune and chop at the same time but others don't do so well.
A lot will depend how much root you've removed at the repot. Less root removal means more capacity to tolerate top pruning but harder root prune means more effort required to grow new roots.

To be safe I try not to do both close together. I'd advise wait for a few months before making your top cut back.

No indication of where you live Stroven. It is still a bit too cold here to be root pruning most natives but should be OK in warmer places. Unlike deciduous and other temperate trees our natives seem to cope better with root pruning during warmer months.

ps. It's a good idea to include a location in your profile as many aspects of bonsai depend on climate/weather. Giving a location will allow others to adjust advice to suit your conditions.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
stroven2022
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Claret Top Pruning Question - can I cut back to no leaves?

Post by stroven2022 »

Thanks for the advice! I am in NSW mid-north coast, my yard is hot and sunny almost year round, hope it survives :fc:
Luckily I didn't prune too many leaves, it should have a fighting chance.
I'll update my profile

Return to “Melaleuca”