Gerard
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest, Northern Suburbs, VNBC

Leptospermum improvement.

Post by Gerard »

Not my tree but I got a photo about 18 months ago and again this week, I was surprised at the development.
QV leptospermum.jpg
QV lepto.jpg
The first is a little untidy and gives a natural feel, while the second is highly manicured as you would expect in the Japanese style.
I know people will have different preferences but I wanted to show that this can be achieved with Australian natives.
I like the manicured tree very much and believe that while the look is less natural it depends on the view, it is a more distant view of an old tree and not a close up view of a shrub.
My congratulations go to the artist on what he has achieved.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Q: Why are we all here?
A: Because we are not all there.
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Re: Leptospermum improvement.

Post by Bougy Fan »

Well it's not my thing - not really sure why but I think natives should be more free form and less manicured. Just doesn't look right to my eye - I can't explain it. Guess it is a personal preference.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Beano »

I like the first one much more. Having said that it looks better than any of my trees.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Last edited by Beano on May 20th, 2013, 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

You've raised a very important issue here. (I hope the grower doesn't mind us discussing his/her work.)

Firstly, congratulations to the grower - it's a very graceful and balanced tree, and the trunk texture is just brilliant. I can understand the refinement of the foliage pads - it's certainly been well grown, and shows that "traditional" bonsai can be grown using native species.

For me, I get a stronger feeling for the trunk texture in the first photo. I'm wondering whether the solid foliage pads could be divided into smaller masses, so the trunk becomes more of a focus.

The "wild" versus "groomed" issue is not confined to Aussie natives - if you compare photos of Japanese bonsai from 30 years ago to recent photos, you can see that they are more tightly groomed than they were. Sometimes it looks incongruous to me, when the trunk is gloriously wild, but the foliage is fussily neat. Interesting issue.

Thanks for posting.

Gavin
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

for me I much prefer the second More groomed image.
the first one does not look at all finished to me.

Many of Pup's Callistimon and Mels, have the less groomed / Open Native style, but he manages to get them to look well groomed and tidy.
I think i have seen a representative image of the tree in this thread, but cannot find it now
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=6225

I have a Beakea, that is kept tightly groomed with well defined foliage pads,

Ken
Last edited by kcpoole on May 20th, 2013, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc

Post by Dario »

I love this genus of shrubs and trees and it is always good to see them being used.
Lots of good development in 18 months too!
I like both styles of bonsai and to me it depends on the particular tree in question, concerning which way I choose to develop/style it.
I will probably be shot, but I think it is leaning a little bit too close to topiary for my taste...I like seeing more separation within the large foliage pads (smaller individual pads), and a more informal structure in the outline of the tops of each foliage pad as opposed to even rounded mounds (semi circle).
It is not a criticism, just a personal preference.
Having said all of that, I would love a tree of this quality and it is much more developed than any of the trees I am working on.
Cheers, Dario.
Gerard
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Gerard »

The owner touched on the subject in conversation, he is fully aware that some will prefer the wild and wooly appearance. I am sure he will take some interest in the comments made.
Certainly the increased mass of foliage will cause faster thickening of that wonderful trunk.
My main reason for posting the two photos was to show the rapid change, as well as wanting to promote discussion on the far view and near view concept.
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc

Post by Dario »

Yeah as I said the development is very impressive and I also would like to congratulate the person responsible...great work!
I have done a bit of reading on the difference between the concept of near and far view in bonsai design, and the bonsai4me wbsite has a good article on it.
I still have a lot to learn about all things bonsai though, and I was wondering Gerard if you could take the time to briefly outline the key areas that you believe are the differences between the two images is this regard...it might also help to stimulate the discussion?
Cheers, Dario.
Gerard
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Gerard »

Dario wrote:Yeah as I said the development is very impressive and I also would like to congratulate the person responsible...great work!
I have done a bit of reading on the difference between the concept of near and far view in bonsai design, and the bonsai4me wbsite has a good article on it.
I still have a lot to learn about all things bonsai though, and I was wondering Gerard if you could take the time to briefly outline the key areas that you believe are the differences between the two images is this regard...it might also help to stimulate the discussion?
Cheers, Dario.
I am not am expert at all, it was only today when this occurred to me.
When looking at the younger tree, it is like viewing a small ( 60cm) shrub from a few feet away
When I view the latest version it takes me to a different place, as if I am viewing a 3 metre tall tree from 10 metres away.
I believe the artist has achieved a result which makes the tree look much older.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Disclaimer.

I too are unfortunate enough to not own or have developed a tree of this calibre.

Having said this I've seen and studied my fair share over time.
For my 2c I agree that the final result is a bit topiary and potentially not true to the style of this species of tree.

I can't recall ever stumbling across a native tree that resembled a design like this from either near OR far.

Whilst I do understand the concept of near and far and do further understand that the 2nd image goes some way to realising the more "afar" concept.
I can't help but being caught up in the fact that this tree more resembles a typical juniper styling rather than a style that is true to the natural leptospermum form.

All this aside, I think it is a fantastic tree in it's own right, which demonstrates great skill and technique.

Well done.

P.S. Good thread.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Damian Bee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: If it looks worthwhile I will give it a go.
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by Damian Bee »

In the words of those across the Tasman.

CHOICE :tu:
izzykay
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by izzykay »

i would rather the neat pads but less foliage so the trees structure can be seen. love seeing natives posted especially leptospermum :yes:
lackhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese maple
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Post by lackhand »

Lots of good discussion here, and rightly so as it's something we all have to consider on our own trees. While I like both, I favor the more refined style on this tree, reserving my right to change my mind at any point in time. :whistle:

I like the naturalistic style quite a bit, but I think we have to be careful that it's not used as an excuse. In art, there is an idea that you must reach a certain level of expertise before your own creations are viewed as worthwhile. I frequently hear things like, "My kid could have painted that," and for some it's true. What makes it art then? The fact that this is not the best the artist can do. If you are not capable of creating a reasonable image, then your abstract "art" probably means you just can't draw/paint/sculpt. If the artist is capable, then it becomes a question of why they chose to create it in this way.

I think the same idea applies to bonsai. In order to truly have your naturalistic trees be credible, you need to prove at least to yourself that you are capable of producing a well ramified, nicely groomed tree. Once you have shown your mastery, then your naturalistic trees suddenly become much more interesting. I'm not saying that we all have to create a certain number of cookie-cutter trees, though there is certainly merit to doing so. But don't let yourself be held back by the excuse of a preference for naturalistic styling. There is definite skill in producing those nice, tight foliage pads so give it a go. :2c:
Cheers, Karl
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The ones that don't die
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Oyama Bonsai Kai, Ausbonsai

Post by Andrew Legg »

Hi All,

First off - lovely tree. Something bothered me about the 2nd image though and I think I've put my finger on it. I have superimposed the two trees onto each other:
Lepto.jpg
What is apparent to me in this image is that with refining the tree has developed more visual mass higher up. You can clearly see that the top has bulked more than the bottom, and here-in lies what I think will be the key to taking this tree to the next level. I think that if the owner can get the refined foliage closer to the trunk and break up and reduce the top pads, it will be even more stunning!

I think the excess visual weight is created by the greater foliage mass, but also by the foliage being more homogeneous, there is a further increase in it's visual weight. Budi Sulistyo once said to me that a tree with a thin trunk looks older if you keep your foliage tighter, and I think this applies to this tree too.

Great tree!

Cheers,

Andrew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Andrew Legg on May 21st, 2013, 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Leptospermum”