Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almost all
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: None

Wind Break

Post by Jon Chown »

A long time ago my sister was throwing out a pot containing several figs that had dropped all of their leaves and generally looked like they were on death row so having a Training pot lying around, I decided to create a forest. I planted them up and set them in the corner where they have been ever since. Every now and then I get to them with the shears and trim to an outline. No way bonsai, I just call it my wind break and shade planting.
Fig - Forest.jpg
Anyway the other day with very little to do, I decided to have a look inside the mass which required a serious trim. Maybe I can do something with it now - what do you think?
Fig Forest.jpg
Yours in Bonsai
Jon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Re: Wind Break

Post by Steven »

Jon Chown wrote:Maybe I can do something with it now - what do you think?
No, I think you should throw it away. I will pop over and get rid of it for you to save you the trouble mate :mrgreen: lol

I love stories like this one! Your sister was throwing them out so you stuck them in a spare pot and 'hedged' them into shape every now and again. Now your little forest has the makings of show quality bonsai.

If mine, some more branches would go and possibly a reduction it height also. Maybe even plant it on a slab?
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
BonsaiBoy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by BonsaiBoy »

AusBonsai wrote:
Jon Chown wrote:Maybe I can do something with it now - what do you think?
No, I think you should throw it away. I will pop over and get rid of it for you to save you the trouble mate :mrgreen: lol

I love stories like this one! Your sister was throwing them out so you stuck them in a spare pot and 'hedged' them into shape every now and again. Now your little forest has the makings of show quality bonsai.

If mine, some more branches would go and possibly a reduction it height also. Maybe even plant it on a slab?
Man thats a really cool bonsai Jon!!! I'll have it too if you want to get rid of it and i am closer to you than Steve!

Yep I would make it a bit shorter and would put it on a big slab. i really like the roots how they have nearly covered th top of the pot.
ketutg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society

Post by ketutg »

i think you have a nice little forest there! i have a benjamina ficus forest planting myself but it's not as good as yours.
i really like how the roots have merged together. a little branch work and maybe a change of pot could go a long way.
apart from that i think it's great
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

Your major issue is the mix of tree's, but if you know what your doing you can graft new foliage on.
I would look at a bigger pot (not deeper, just wider) and get more root growth. You could look into getting some aerial roots off the trunk to form so you can train the against the trunk and fuse, giving the trunks that gnarled look we see in Taiwanese bonsai.

Its a very nice group, in fact out of the many I have seen there is only one that is as good as this one (Its a 15 tree group that has fused together)
Last edited by Asus101 on November 16th, 2008, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Young and hostile but not stupid.
MasonC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: None

Post by MasonC »

WOW! This is an amazing plant. I love it. Probably one of my favs! Have you got some now shots?

Return to “Ficus”