Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus, hawthorn
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: School Of Bonsai

3 trunk Callistimon

Post by matty-j »

Hey everyone
I got this Callistimon on Saturday off eBay very happy with it

I think I will remove the left hand trunk in photo 1/ right Hand trunk in photo 2
And leave a 2 trunk "natural/Aussie" style tree I think it has a lot of potential
A few questions tho when should I chop I've read there very hardy!!
There are some low shoots I was thinking of cutting back to and wiring them as the new leaders will I have to wait till spring to do this?? It will need major root work as well

Any thoughts or ideas are much appreciated

Cheers
Matt
“The beginning is perhaps more difficult than anything else, but keep heart, it will turn out all right.”
― Vincent van Gogh
lackhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese maple
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Re: 3 trunk Callistimon

Post by lackhand »

I really like the triple trunk, Matty, and I think I would chop and keep all three. I think the character is great, so make the best of it.

The callistemon I have are very hardy, I worked on them in late winter/early spring when I got them, and they did fine. That's all I can really say for timing though. I know there are some good threads under the Aus natives section. Look forward to seeing what you do with this one.
Cheers, Karl
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Post by Jason »

From what I've read, spring through to Autumn is the best time to work on these :)

This is a handy page on the wiki: https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... hould_I%3F

And this one has some good tips too on the Calli: https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... allistemon

Good material, would enjoy seeing where you take it :cool:
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

Gerard
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest, Northern Suburbs, VNBC

Post by Gerard »

Hi Matt,
How tall do you think your tree will be in the future? I think this will be the first thing to consider and will help you decide how many trunks to keep.
lackhand wrote:I really like the triple trunk, Matty, and I think I would chop and keep all three. I think the character is great, so make the best of it.

The callistemon I have are very hardy, I worked on them in late winter/early spring when I got them, and they did fine. That's all I can really say for timing though. I know there are some good threads under the Aus natives section. Look forward to seeing what you do with this one.

I am very interested that this Australian native has spread around the world, I was surprised to see a long established one in the gardens outside the Victoria Monument in Kolkata India. You seem to indicate that you have more than one. Are they common in Arizona?
Last edited by Gerard on May 27th, 2013, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q: Why are we all here?
A: Because we are not all there.
maple
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple
Bonsai Age: 22

Post by maple »

When is a tree beyond recovery? Not much taper and very ugly heavy roots twisting around the nebari that doesn't look good to me.
Sorry Matt, I don't mean to be insulting if it comes across that way but I would be looking for material with fewer defects to start with.
I have seen good growers start with 3" tubes that will get better results faster than I think will be achieved with this tree.
Maybe that a better place to start.
Just an opinion.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Nice large base on that one but as been said, the circling roots can be a problem. some do not see them as an issue but other do so your preference will count.
when you repot you can root prune and then decide you might want to cut them back and remove them.

What I do like is the low section of trunk and think that maybe getting rid of the middle trunk might be better.
Either way I will be layering up high to utilize that trunk girth and all the branching up high on both the right and left trunks.
Then cut much lower and wait till see what shoots in Spring.

Being in Sydney, I would layer now. Keep them in Sunny sheltered spot then early spring you should be able to remove them, then cut back hard and root prune.

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
lackhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by lackhand »

Gerard wrote:
lackhand wrote:I really like the triple trunk, Matty, and I think I would chop and keep all three. I think the character is great, so make the best of it.

I am very interested that this Australian native has spread around the world, I was surprised to see a long established one in the gardens outside the Victoria Monument in Kolkata India. You seem to indicate that you have more than one. Are they common in Arizona?
They are quite common here, as are eucalyptus and melaleuca, and some acacias, which is how I ended up on this forum to begin with. They are sold at pretty much every nursery including the big boxes. There's actually a pretty big plantation that grows them not far from here - I'm planning to go for a tour one of these days. Not much chance for collected specimens, but it's pretty easy to find nursery stock with good potential. They do really well in the hot, dry climate here, so they are considered pretty valuable for landscape trees. :flag: :tu:
Cheers, Karl
matty-j
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by matty-j »

hey everyone thanks for all the feed back its very much appreciated :tu:

tomorrow i will be layering of the tops of all 3 trunks, once spring comes around ill remove the layers, cut back hard and plant it in the ground
once the tree has put on new growth and is growing strong ill be ground layering to make a nice flat root system

ill post photos of my progress

ps its good to see our natives being used in the US :aussie:

cheers
matt
“The beginning is perhaps more difficult than anything else, but keep heart, it will turn out all right.”
― Vincent van Gogh
woody
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by woody »

:gday: matty-j.
Gotta agree 100% with Maple. The roots wrapping around the trunk is going to be very difficult to unravel. You will snap a few of the heavy roots off when you straighten them up. And because your going to lose a lot of the root system, your going to need to cut back the branches pretty hard. Not sure about Sydneys winter temps. So I can't say for sure if you want to do this now or wait till spring.
I wouldn't worry too much. Callis are really hardy. And don't seem to mind being in water for awhile. So when you unravel it all, I would suggest leaving the whole root ball in some water for a couple of days and see how she goes. Maybe add a cap or 2 of seasol. Or do what KC suggests. Get your moneys worth.
In future, :2c: , I suggest, only buy from reputable bonsai growers, or local nurseries/places. I will always pull the plant out of the pot at the place. I've done it in front of staff, they don't mind. Brush the top soil to the side And see whats there. In general, not root bound.
Anyway, I hope you take this advice with a pinch of salt. I did the same thing (root wrap) when I first started, and it survived, but I did so much damage to the nebari it was never going to be a good bonsai. And its just a calli in a pot now.
Matty, I truly hope it ends up being a great looking bonsai for you. :fc: ,
Woody
matty-j
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

3 trunk Callistimon

Post by matty-j »

Hey woody thanks for the advice mate I do appreciate it, I agree completely in buying quality stock, and I will either collect or buy from a bonsai nursery.

As for the roots I won't be trying to straighten them at all i will remove the roots that will be in the way of the ground layer that I will be doing and waiting for the new set of roots be created and then ill remove all original roots once the layer is established, I hope this makes sense!

Today I placed the 3 air layers on the top half on the trunks, I did it as ray m style of layering, I've had a few good chats with him at the school of bonsai about them
-First ring bark
-put root hormone on
-Add a wire tourniquet on the top cut to flair roots and stop call using
-I soaked sphagnum in season for 30min added some clay to make muck
- applied the muck
- plastic wrapped
- covered in foil

I will post some photos later tonight

Cheers
Matt
― Vincent van Gogh
matty-j
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by matty-j »

photos
IMG_2971.jpg
IMG_2972.jpg
IMG_2973.jpg
IMG_2974.jpg
cheers
matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
― Vincent van Gogh
Steve B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Steve B »

Nice work there matty! They look like nicely executed air layers......

..... also making me hungry for a kebab!
matty-j
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by matty-j »

About time I did a update for this callistimon, the layers took well and were removed late september and the tree was cut back hard and root pruned ever harder i removed at least 70% of the roots, all the thick twisted roots up high were removed and a selected few were left, it has put on a nice amount of growth since then and very soon i will place the ground layer to make a nice new nebari.
i think this tree has come along quite nicely since I started work on it 6 months ago.

Any thoughts are more than welcome!
IMG_3323.jpg
IMG_3326.jpg
IMG_3331.jpg
IMG_3332.jpg
IMG_3333.jpg
IMG_3611.jpg

Cheers
Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
― Vincent van Gogh
lackhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by lackhand »

I like it Matt, the progress is looking good. :cool:
Cheers, Karl

Return to “Callistemon”