Bottle Brush
Trent McKenzie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus, Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 12

Callistemon yamadori

Post by Trent McKenzie »

I have been eying off this bottlebrush in the front yard for a couple years and now I'm eager to dig it out and give it a go. The Plan is to try and split it into several trees using the deadwood of the parent tree for character and to get some air layers off the top. This will be the largest yamadori I've collected hence the reason to split it into several trees.

Was wondering if now would be a good time to dig it out or should I wait till the start of spring?

All branching is coming from ground level around the rotted away stump of the original tree.

Trent.

"mystery in trees takes you back to your childhood when you explored more than analysed" Dorothy Koreshoff
Trent McKenzie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Callistemon yamadori

Post by Trent McKenzie »

i read on the wiki that early spring is the best time but notice in this tread viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8213 that it was done at this time of year (mid summer), does anyone have a recommendation or advice the can offer me?
Trent.

"mystery in trees takes you back to your childhood when you explored more than analysed" Dorothy Koreshoff
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by jezz_39 »

There does seem to be a lot of conflicting advice regarding natives, whether it be re-potting or collecting.
Personally I dont have much experience so take it with a grain of salt.

I collected many young Callistemon and Casuarina seedlings in September with about 80% success rate. These were all growing in and around a creek which surges several times a year so the soil was very wet, each tree was pulled out by hand and long tap roots were trimmed to encourage radial growth.

I then collected a large waterswept Callistemon in mid December from the same creek growing next to a small weir. Its been ravaged by floodwaters over the years. At this stage it hasnt put out any growth but there is still a bit of green on the tree and I did spot a few roots shoting out. Ideally i would have kept it in shade until shoots appeared but it was too large to put anywhere so its been in full sun since collection. This guy was growing in water though so ive got it in a large tub of diatomite, soil, and perlite with drainage holes close to the rim, so hes basically growing in seasol.

Growing conditions and micro-climate will always impact when we do things. I say if the tree is healthy, go for it. Alternatively, give it a bit of a cut back and collect after the shoots harden next spring. If you collect now, standard aftercare should see it thrive. Its a nice stump and will make a great carving project :tu:
Regards,
Jeremy
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

My understanding is that a "staged dig" can provide the best results for collecting trees.

This would consist of digging around the tree to sever most of the roots first..
Then letting the tree rest and recover for a few months.
Then digging the tree out on a 2nd visit..

It is also my understanding that root and repot work can be done upon bud swell...
Buds apparently swell and new growth happens on this species around every 6 weeks or so...
So the year should present many opportunities...

Lengthy thread but there is a heap of information here: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=2641
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Trent McKenzie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Trent McKenzie »

Thanks for the replies,

The tree is very healthy so I think I'll just get stuck into it this weekend if its not too hot... :fc:
Trent.

squizzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by squizzy »

Hey trent,

For what its worth I ripped one out of the ground with next to no roots last year in spring and it didnt seem to be an issue. Do you know what variety you have. It doesnt look like the normal viminalis. Might be something like endevour or kings park

Squizz
1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55..............................
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Hey trent, Nice find :-)
Natives can be collected at any time, just like most trees spring is preferred.
Just take as much roots as you can handle and pot up, ad after care is the key. In Sydney most of the severe weather shodu be over now and we will get higher humidity mopst of the time which will help you.

Keep well watered and seasoled for the next 2 -3 months, or until you see positive continual signs of growth.

the 2 large ones I collected a few years ago did not and they shot allover from latent energy for a few months, then carked it!

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Trent McKenzie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Trent McKenzie »

Thanks Ken for the assurance and tips, can't wait to see what is waiting for me under the soil.

Hi Squizzy, did some searches on google and it does look like a kings park special but hard to know for sure :D
Trent.

Trent McKenzie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Trent McKenzie »

oops, posted twice :whistle:
Last edited by Trent McKenzie on January 25th, 2013, 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trent.

Trent McKenzie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Trent McKenzie »

Weather forecast is for a week of 30 degrees so I committed to the dig, gunna get 5 trees from it so :fc: they are getting a soak in seasol overnight and will pot up tomorrow, Ill post up the results.
Trent.

jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by jezz_39 »

Well done on getting stuck into it. Loook forward to seeing this thread updated in the coming months to see they've survived the dig :fc:
Regards,
Jeremy
Trent McKenzie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Trent McKenzie »

Got them potted up, man I hope they survive because to me they will be stunning. There was a couple of small ones also not pictured.
Trent.

kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Some very nice bits you have there. Hope they recover well :-)

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Damian79
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Whatever stays alive
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Mount Gambier

Post by Damian79 »

Hi Trent
Can we get an update on these. Im looking to dig one out myself and Im curious to see how you went after 12 months.
Cheers
Still Learning the Basics........Slowly
Trent McKenzie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Trent McKenzie »

HI all, had a 50% success rate with this effort, as in 1 died, luckily the better of the 2 survived so yay. It looks pretty much the same as I am letting it grow and gain strength, it is growing very strong so will start training next spring. My idea is to cut all the branches down dramatically and let it grow, then repeat the process for about 5 years to get them much shorter, more tapered and better ramification. It will be a while before they resemble any sort of bonsai.
Trent.

Return to “Callistemon”