Bottle Brush
Aus Dog
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Tough Little John

Post by Aus Dog »

Ray, are you sure the pics you posted are of a Little John Callistemon, it looks a lot like a Lilly pilly :whistle:
Bonsaitrees (Craig)
Banned
Banned

Post by Bonsaitrees (Craig) »

Ray M wrote:Hi Bonsaitrees,
My apologies. I used the name Little John Lilly Pilly. It should have been Little John Callistemon.
Hi Ray, Yes I figured as much , no prob. The layer shown is Lilly pilly tiny trev and you have had good success with Little john Callistemon also ,

cheers mate :beer:
I am the serial pest Craig Murray. Nice to meet you.
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Ray M »

Aus Dog wrote:Ray, are you sure the pics you posted are of a Little John Callistemon, it looks a lot like a Lilly pilly :whistle:
Hi Aus Dog,
Yes, your right. Sorry for the mistake. The post 2nd February is a Tiny Trev Lilly Pilly, and the post 4th February is a Little John Callistemon.

Sorry for the mix up. I guess one good thing from the mistake is that you can see both species work well with ground layering.

Regards Ray
Last edited by Ray M on February 4th, 2014, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aus Dog
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All

Post by Aus Dog »

Ray M wrote:
Aus Dog wrote:Ray, are you sure the pics you posted are of a Little John Callistemon, it looks a lot like a Lilly pilly :whistle:
Hi Aus Dog,
Yes, your right. Sorry for the mistake. The post 2nd February is a Tiny Trev Lilly Pilly, and the post 4th February is a Little John Callistemon.

Sorry for the mix up. I guess one good thing from the mistake is that you can see both species work well with ground layering.

Regards Ray
Ray,
Might be an idea to double check the actual pics you posted, neither those posted on the 2nd or the 4th of Feb appear either in leaf & bark to be nothing like Callistemon 'Little John'.
This is a Callistemon 'Little John' I air layered last year
ljfl131.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray M »

Hi Aus Dog,
Your right mate. It is another Lilli Pilly. Sorry for the brain fade. I have been looking for my Little John, but can't find it. If I can't find it or another one I will get a tree and do a layer on it so Tony will have confidence to do his. Sorry again for all the mix ups. :oops: :oops:

Regards Ray
lackhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese maple
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Post by lackhand »

Ray M wrote:Hi Aus Dog,
Your right mate. It is another Lilli Pilly. Sorry for the brain fade. I have been looking for my Little John, but can't find it. If I can't find it or another one I will get a tree and do a layer on it so Tony will have confidence to do his. Sorry again for all the mix ups. :oops: :oops:

Regards Ray
Ray, don't worry about going out and buying a new tree on my account (though if you're like me nearly any excuse will do :whistle: ). I've been inspired by all of your ground layer results, and I've got enough experience with callistemon now that I'm not really that worried about success, just waiting for the right time for the plant. Since I've repotted the last two years in a row and pruned hard a few times on top of the other hardships this thing has endured, it just seems like it needs a year or so to put on some growth and recover. Good bonsai requires patience after all, something that I've gotten much better at over the past few years.

Looking back, maybe I got the order backwards and a ground layer is the first thing I should have done, but it's too late for that now. :whistle: Live and learn, and I'm definitely learning a lot with this tree. Thank goodness it's forgiving.

At any rate, the picture shared are still greatly appreciated. Biggest problem is they make me want a lilly pilly, but I can't seem to find any around here.
Cheers, Karl
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray M »

Ray, don't worry about going out and buying a new tree on my account (though if you're like me nearly any excuse will do :whistle: ).
Hi Karl,
Thanks for your reply. I have found one so I'll put a layer on it just to see how it reacts. It looks like Aus Dog had good success with his layer. If a tree will air layer it will also ground layer.

Regards Ray

Return to “Callistemon”