Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: WA natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Albany Bonsai Collective, Bonsai Society of Western Australia

Acacia Saligna - Golden Wreath Wattle

Post by Patmet »

I thought I would have a crack at Acacia Saligna, as they are native to my area, super tough, and have some nice ornamental characteristics.

I bought this from the nursery as small tubestock I reckon some time early 2022. Unfortunately I can’t seem to find any photos of it early on. This one seems to have slipped under the radar.

From researching online and observing these at various stages in nature, they have very large and broad phyllodes (leaves) as seedlings and young plants. As they mature, the broad phyllodes gradually get replaced by long, narrow ones. It takes on a weeping habit in maturity.

I’ve just started to notice this recently on mine. It still has a lot of broad phyllodes, but now there are new thinner ones popping up here and there.

I haven’t applied any wire on this, I’m seeing what I can do with just clip and grow at this stage. I want to keep growing it larger for now as I still have no idea how much I will be able to reduce the phyllodes to get the right scale.

It’s a vigorous grower with nice looking red wood.
20240507_165740.jpeg
20240507_165744.jpeg

20240507_172033.jpeg
20240507_171933.jpeg
20240507_172054.jpeg
20240507_172127.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Re: Acacia Saligna - Golden Wreath Wattle

Post by Keels »

I really like the springtime cascade version of this plant. It's a beautiful Acacia and hardy. Loves the frost and deals well with minus 4 nights. You should check out my springtime cascade Acacia post, you'll see an example of the leaf type you will end up with. One person posted an example of a old saligna bonsai too. One of the best Western Australia trees I've been growing for bonsai.

Anyway keen to see how it goes mate
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Patmet »

Keels wrote: May 9th, 2024, 9:22 pm I really like the springtime cascade version of this plant. It's a beautiful Acacia and hardy. Loves the frost and deals well with minus 4 nights. You should check out my springtime cascade Acacia post, you'll see an example of the leaf type you will end up with. One person posted an example of a old saligna bonsai too. One of the best Western Australia trees I've been growing for bonsai.

Anyway keen to see how it goes mate
I’ve been following along with yours on here, that’s a big part of what inspired me to start one. I’ve been very impressed with how yours has done. I’ve seen the prostrate springtime cascade at my local nursery recently. Thinking I might start one as well for comparison… I have told myself not to get any more projects right now but I think it will be worth it.. Will just have to move something on that I’ve lost interest in. :P
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Post by Keels »

Patmet wrote: May 9th, 2024, 10:27 pm
I’ve been following along with yours on here, that’s a big part of what inspired me to start one. I’ve been very impressed with how yours has done. I’ve seen the prostrate springtime cascade at my local nursery recently. Thinking I might start one as well for comparison… I have told myself not to get any more projects right now but I think it will be worth it.. Will just have to move something on that I’ve lost interest in. :P
It'll be worth it. I've got three on the go now. The bark has just started turning grey which I'm excited about. Still struggling to get the trunk really fat. I'll update my post this weekend
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Patmet »

Keels wrote: May 9th, 2024, 10:35 pm
Patmet wrote: May 9th, 2024, 10:27 pm
Still struggling to get the trunk really fat. I'll update my post this weekend
I suspect that might be one of the main differences between the standard form and springtime cascade. No problems getting trunk thickness fast so far with the standard. But then the benefit of the springtime cascade is the smaller leaves right off the bat and also it probably has naturally shorter internodes and tighter growth.

Return to “Acacia”