Laxmannia gracilis

Share ideas and photo's of accent plants and moss.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Laxmannia gracilis

Post by MattA »

I collected this little plant a few months ago but had been unsuccessful in identifying it until last weekend. Laxmannia gracilis or the Slender Wire-lily...
100_3601rz.jpg
Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Re: Laxmannia gracilis

Post by Joel »

Good to see it is still healthy. There is a few clumps near my place that I wish to collect for accents. Have you tried cutting off one of the clumps on the long stolons and striking it like a cutting? I do not want to remove the plants as even though they are on a fire trail, they do not get killed as they are so small.

Joel
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Hey Joel,

It handled collecting with ease, I always get a good amount of root & keep most of the soil intact until things re-establish. It was only a matter of weeks before good root growth was showing at the drainage holes. I cant wait till it flowers.... I plan on sowing some seed off my Boronia polygalafolia into this pot as i think they will work well together.

I haven't tried taking cuttings from the upper sections but am up for an experiment. From my conversation with the staff at the CEN nursery on the Central Coast, they use seed for propagating as they germinate readily.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Joel »

Thanks heaps for the in-depth reply Matt. Really appreciate it. Let us know how the boronia goes from seed! I have heard it is difficult to germinate most species and I have never had much luck with cuttings, though there is a great article online somewhere. Think it might be on ANBG website or ANPSG.

Joel
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Hey Joel,

Thanks for the heads up on Boronia I will have to do some more research. Most can be a bit touchy but polygalafolia collects easily, with extra care it will even survive bare rooting. I have the normal pale pink & one that bears a very dark red flower but has been ID'ed as the same species. They set seed readily and all my plants currently have pods.

Instead of actually sowing the seed I have simply sat one of my Boronia so it overhangs the Laxmannia, I am hoping nature takes care of the rest :palm:

If you would like some seed I would be more than happy to send some down when ripe.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Looking good covered in bloom, its only on comparing with last years pic can I see how much it has grown.
100_5513rz.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection

Return to “Accent Plants and Moss”