Insulated Cascade Pots

Everything about displaying your bonsai.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Insulated Cascade Pots

Post by MelaQuin »

I have a zieria in a very slender cascade pot. To minimize the sun overheating the pot I bought a cheap pot, lined it with styrofoam and put the cascade pot inside that. It works very well and the plant is flourishing. The difference in the surface temperature at the top 1.5 cm of the pot that the sun strikes and the rest of the pot is incredible. By using this method I have eliminated any pot surface damage that could have occured if I had 'buried' it in sand or put mulch around it. The zieria is growing so well I have recently obtained a much larger pot. To provide this same heat protection I will cut styrofoam to the outer pot size and band it around the pot so it can be slipped on and off without damaging the pot glaze. To avoid a glaring white 'pot' on my bench I can paint the styrofoam brown to blend in.
Zieria 2 2008-09 1.jpg
Zieria 2 2008-09 5.jpg
Zieria 2 2009-01 1.jpg
Zieria 2 2009-01 2.jpg
I removed the styro on a 30+ day and the pot was warm which will allow root growth but not baking temp. It works! Keep in mind, this bonsai is in early adolescence .. needs a lot more growth to fit the pot and complete my image of its future. But it is coming along well and the sleeve should help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MelaQuin on January 17th, 2009, 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
daiviet_nguyen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Ficuses, Maples, Azaleas
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: None

Re: Insulated Cascade Pots

Post by daiviet_nguyen »

Hi,

Thank you for sharing this info. I could apply it too -- especially on small pots. You should get
more than 5 points for this info :)

Regards,

Viet.
aaron_tas
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
Favorite Species: ulmus
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: south tas, Illawarra, Launceston

Post by aaron_tas »

thanks for the heads up :!:

great idea :idea: :idea:
inspired by nature,
considered superior to nature.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Post by MelaQuin »

I've just bought a small roundish Korean pot for a literati olive, quite small. I am now off to the $2 shop to look for a styrofoam beer tin holder to cut down, hole and slip the pot inside to insulate it. It's a lovely pot but the sides are a bit too thin to protect the roots from summer sun and I am getting tired of watering two and three times a day of late. Not every tree, just the few smalls - and the bloody water guzzling crabapple!!

Return to “Pots, Benches, and Stands”