Must have bonsai books

Seen something in print or on TV? Have a good book to review? Know something others don't? Post here.
Luke308
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple & pines
Bonsai Age: 13
Bonsai Club: S.A Bonsai Society

Re: Must have bonsai books

Post by Luke308 »

VelvetSicklid wrote:Thats not true iv fallen asleep to Lindsays yt clips many of times, laptop in bed, fall off dreaming about being masahiko kimura's understudy lol

:lol: :lol: I did that last night except I dont have a laptop, but I have a recliner setup in front of my PC for watching movies. I woke up at about 3am and realised I missed the end of the episode, so I watched it before I actually went to bed :palm:
WHERE THE SAP FLOWS, THE WOOD GROWS
lindsay farr
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple
Bonsai Age: 57

Post by lindsay farr »

I'm devastated that my vid's are putting the users to sleep. Dreamers of being Masahiko's apprentice should contemplate working 14 hour days in silence for a small wage. 1 day a month off ( if youre lucky)

Ryan has my utmost respect.

Time for a snooze. No sleeping pills. World Of Bonsai does the job.
http://www.bonsaifarm.tv/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Luke308
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Luke308 »

lindsay farr wrote:I'm devastated that my vid's are putting the users to sleep. Dreamers of being Masahiko's apprentice should contemplate working 14 hour days in silence for a small wage. 1 day a month off ( if youre lucky)

Ryan has my utmost respect.

Time for a snooze. No sleeping pills. World Of Bonsai does the job.

No lindsay you have it wrong, in my case its because they are so addictive that I tell myself "just one more then I'll go to bed" but I watch one more, then another, then another etc. Then before I know it 2 hours has passed and I'm still watching your vids. :lost: :palm:
sreeve
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs & Azaleas
Bonsai Age: 19
Bonsai Club: Central Coast Bonsai Club

Post by sreeve »

Of all the books and magazines I have, the most frequent read without doubt is Leong Kwong's book on figs. Apart from being a great treatise on my favourite subject ie figs, it is a great read, let alone being produced by an Aussie of the calibre of Deborah or Lindsay or countless other living legends.

It is interesting to note Lindsay's comment about videos.

Whilst I couldn't tell you how many times I have watched the entire WOB series, i have spent countless hours watching Graham Potter's videos and in particularl Kevin Willson's videos. The main reason for watching them has been to gain knowledge about carving. I agree totally with Lindsay in that videos are an Important part of any of our libraries, both today and tomorrow

Regards
Steve
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Andrew F »

lindsay farr wrote:I'm devastated that my vid's are putting the users to sleep.
I didnt mean it like that mate. :tounge:
lindsay farr
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 57

Post by lindsay farr »

Luke308 wrote:No lindsay you have it wrong, in my case its because they are so addictive that I tell myself "just one more then I'll go to bed" but I watch one more, then another, then another etc. Then before I know it 2 hours has passed and I'm still watching your vids.

Phew, I thought I may have lost my mojo to connect with Young people. I'm really pleased that the video's are useful
Last edited by Craig on April 6th, 2012, 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix quote
http://www.bonsaifarm.tv/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Luke308
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Luke308 »

Hey guys and girls.

I thought I would share this bargain find!!! I just received mine in the post today, and it looks as thought it has heaps of info on it. 11 books for 99 cents! You cant go wrong even if you learn only one thing from them. I have put these on my PC and then transferred them to both my phone to read with the Kindle app, and also I have transferred it to my E-reader. I know what I'll be doing over Easter in between relly bashes :tu: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/260997329135 ... 1423.l2649
Paulneill
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Paulneill »

No need to worry lindsey . Your videos great.

What happened to the bonsai art of japan series have they stopped making them? I check for a new one every other day!

Also a would just like to recommend both of Harry harringtons bonsai inspiration books to anyone . the second book has great info on juniper Development.
I own about ten expensive bonsai books and at least 5 of them I could have done without repeating the same basic techniques.
Luke308
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Luke308 »

Just found this on ebay, I bought one of these a while ago and it is a good starting point for beginners and those wanting to pick up a few more pointers. But I strongly recommend buying some of the other books mentioned in this post, particularly the one by Deborah Koreshoff, and Bonsai techniques I & II by John Naka.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261023352596 ... 1555.l2649
Last edited by Luke308 on May 14th, 2012, 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diane
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Diane »

Thanks Luke, always nice to hear a good report about books, cds etc.

Ive bought from ebay one of Dorothy and Vita Koreshoff's books "Bonsai in Australia" and Ive just finished reading "Bonsai" by Jon Ardle, its one of the Royal Horticulture Society Wisley handbooks, unfortunately its a library book, the only one available at the moment.
Will have to scout the 2nd hand book shops to increase my collection at this stage as Christmas and my birthday are many months away. :roll:
Luke308
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Luke308 »

bluegouldian wrote:Thanks Luke, always nice to hear a good report about books, cds etc.

Ive bought from ebay one of Dorothy and Vita Koreshoff's books "Bonsai in Australia" and Ive just finished reading "Bonsai" by Jon Ardle, its one of the Royal Horticulture Society Wisley handbooks, unfortunately its a library book, the only one available at the moment.
Will have to scout the 2nd hand book shops to increase my collection at this stage as Christmas and my birthday are many months away. :roll:

Or join your local bonsai club and take advantage of their great library - SA Bonsai Society have a fantastic library of many many great books, plus great magazines including Bonsai Today, and International Bonsai.
Meagi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: english elm
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Bnw and vic bonsai

Post by Meagi »

Just received my copy of
The art of bonsai design by Colin Lewis
Very good book on elms and pines

Bonsai Design: Deciduous and Coniferous Trees
on its way by Peter Adams
Looking forward to it as well
Regards
Last edited by Meagi on December 30th, 2012, 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Bonsai in the Media & History of Australian Bonsai”