[Shinkitai] Willow Leaf Fig

To create the best possible Shohin sized bonsai from raw, untrained stock over a period of 18 months.
Shinkitai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Lots
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast Tweed Bonsai Club

[Shinkitai] Willow Leaf Fig

Post by Shinkitai »

• Species name: Wilow Leaf Fig
• Original height of stock: 21cm
• Where you obtained it from: Defined Bonsai Studio (Gold Coast)
• Cost of stock: $18
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jacob553
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Re: [Shinkitai] Willow Leaf Fig

Post by jacob553 »

very nice trunk, great price.. i was planning a trip to defined bonsai studio in a couple weeks..
Shinkitai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Shinkitai »

Trimmed and repotted today. Roots where nowhere as developed as expected. I removed a very large tap root, and a couple of roots in wrong positions. This did not leave very much in the way of root structure so will let it recover until spring. We get a long growing season here (if it ever stops raining) so hope to see some new growth before winter.

Moderators - I bought this from a bonsai shop in a black garden pot. I should have looked a bit closer at it as when I cut back the leaves there was heavy wire marks scaring on the upper parts of the trunk and branches. Will this disqualify this tree? I don't really expect I have the skills to produce a winning tree so are just doing this for the fun of it and seeing what I can learn on the way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shinkitai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Shinkitai »

This tree kept growing through winter and had developed long skinny branches with only leaves on the end. The branches were pointing upwards causing the tree to loose any shape. I had expected to give it another couple of months after the repotting I did in April but it looked like it is in a hurry so did some work today. I cut back branches to the first leaf/branch and wired. If it grows just as quick in spring as it has in winter I will need to keep a close eye on it and continually cut back so it doesn't get leggy again, hopefully this should create good ramification very quickly.
Willow-Leaf-Fig---26-July-2013.jpg
Shinkitai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Shinkitai »

The foliage is starting to fill out, there is starting to get a little back budding, but not a lot so will have to watch how it goes now the growing season is here fully. I may have to keep cutting back the branches to get growth closer in. I like the height and shape so my main goals is to get it to fill out as much as possible.

Have top fertilised with dynamic lifter and now that spring is here will return to bimonthly powerfeed doses.

Got a couple of new stands to display bonsai, I think helps with the photos.

Willow-Leaf-Fig-1---3-Sept-2013.jpg
Shinkitai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Shinkitai »

Willow Leaf Fig - 3 December 2013.JPG
Lots of new growth, still not getting that much branch ramification. Will rewire and try and get more light into the inner branches to promote more growth and to get shape back.
Shinkitai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Shinkitai »

This Willow Leaf loves the warm weather and had put on a lot of new growth. I have given it a good haircut to develop more ramification and wired the main branches down a bit. I haven't touched the crown yet. The wire bites in very quick on these so I will need to keep a closer eye on it. I felt the large branch at the back was a little distracting and did not add much so removed it. There is still a bit of a hole on the top left but a couple of small branches have appeared that should fill in that area.

Looking back at previous photos the trunk has thickened up a little bit.

I am enjoying working on this one, might have to get a couple of more Willow leaf to add to my collection.
Willow Leaf Fig - 1 Jan 2014a.JPG
Willow Leaf Fig - 1 Jan 2014b.JPG
Shinkitai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Shinkitai »

Have continued to trim any buds growing on the top of the primary branches to let light in to the secondary branches to get more ramification.

Wiring the branches in to place is proving to be a bit of a problem. The wire bites in very quickly, but as soon as I take the wire off the branches spring back up. The wire had been removed when this pic was taken, I need to wire the branches down again, but are still happy with how it is progressing.
Willow-Leaf-Fig---5-March-2014.jpg
Shinkitai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Shinkitai »

The branches have been wired down and some pinching has been done.
DSC_0002.jpg
Shinkitai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Shinkitai »

Willow-Leaf-Fig---6-June-2014.jpg
The final structure for the comp is pretty much in place, now just letting it fill out.
Shinkitai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Shinkitai »

Final Submission

This one has been a favourite of mine from the start, I really liked the feel of it after the first shaping I did and have just refined since then. Most of the time I have to fumble around for ages to get a shape I want . I have had to constantly rewire as it likes to grow up, and cut back branches a couple of times to develop ramification closer in.

I like the size of this one as it is so will keep letting it develop and fill out a bit more. It is starting to develop some nice nebari which is it's weakest point at the moment, but given it has been 18 months it is to be expected. I have noticed this spring that it seems to be fattening in the trunk a bit more which will be good to see.

Thank you to the organisers for putting on this comp, it has been a great learning experience for me and I think through forced action really accelerated my understanding. Taking the final photos has even added to my appreciation of good photography and composition. I still have a long way to go in that area! Definitely should have looked at the photos on the computer before I packed up as none are as good as I would have liked.
29 Sept 2014-37 .JPG
29 Sept 2014-25 .JPG
29 Sept 2014-14 .JPG
Shane
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: BonsaiNorthwest, BSV, Vic Natives

Post by Shane »

I like your Willow leaf fig. It has good balance and the ramification is well developed. Cheers!
Bonsai was meant to keep me away from the computer.
NAHamilton
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Backea
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by NAHamilton »

I've really enjoyed your updates on this one Shinkitai, you've given me a good perspective on my willow leaf. :tu2:
Shinkitai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Shinkitai »

Thanks NAHamilton. I have really enjoyed this tree so went out and bought another willow leaf to play with yesterday

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Return to “Category 2. CREATE”