[Bougy Fan ] Celtis

To create the best possible Shohin sized bonsai from raw, untrained stock over a period of 18 months.
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

[Bougy Fan ] Celtis

Post by Bougy Fan »

Species : Celtis
Height : 600mm
Source : Collected last year
Cost : Free was at a jobsite
Celtis 1st Update.jpg
Celtis 1st Update 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: [Bougy Fan ] Celtis

Post by Bougy Fan »

Now I am happy with this celtis - they grow like weeds all year round in a pot. Large trees lose their leaves but I haven't had that happen to any potted specimens I have. Thinking of cutting this back very hard - just waiting for the trunk to thicken a bit first.
Celtis 2nd Update.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

This tree had a wire worm on it :palm: But they grow that quickly I am not worried, it should have grown out by Christmas. Have collected a few of these trees while at work and am constantly amazed at how well the leaves reduce
Celtis 3rd Update.jpg
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

The sacrifice branch is doing it's job - this is progressing nicely
4th Update Celtis.jpg
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

Growth has been a little slow - think it really needs to be repotted. I will probably wait a little while and just put it into a bonsai pot
9th Update Celtis 1.jpg
9th Update Celtis 2.jpg
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

This is my last tree in a grow pot - a fact I am about to change. It is extremely root bound but I am happy with the drop in temperatures so will pot it into a bonsai pot. I will also cut off the sacrifice branch and get a clearer picture of what I have
10th update celtis2 resize.jpg
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

This is the final submission
Celtis 11th update 1.jpg
Celtis 11th update 2.jpg
This tree is a little disappointing. I did not get it developed enough before going into the bonsai pot and it should have been in a bonsai pot much earlier. I think this tree needs another 2 years to fully establish and develop more branching. I will most likely shorten the apex and then develop it some more. This is the only tree that I did not have to cut back to achieve the height of 250mm. With some TLC it will become a much better tree. This species has a great leaf reduction ability and grows very fast in the ground but seems to slow down dramatically when in a bonsai pot.
Regards Tony

Return to “Category 2. CREATE”