Growing trunks, Chinese quince.

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Growing trunks, Chinese quince.

Post by Asus101 »

I have a number of Chinese quince cuttings that are now two years old.
Last spring they where planted in separate pots, the roots pruned and selected. They grew well this summer, thickening to about half an inch. They will get a wire to dd some character and movement in the lower trunks.

I'm looking now at ground growing them. Root growth on them was strong, all of them having roots out of the bottom of the pot.
I know the basics, good soil, lift and root prune once every two or three years, allow leader to grow and trunk chop before buds are moving and fert well ect ect, but I am looking for more advanced tips, and more about shaping the trunk without wire (or is wire used n ground).
I am also wanting to know more about how to treat the quince while in the ground.

There is a lack of good articles on ground growing.
Young and hostile but not stupid.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Re: Growing trunks, Chinese quince.

Post by Grant Bowie »

One tip is that when you dig up and replant you replant at a slightly different angel each time. This broadens the base.

Wire on a tree in the ground is dangerous unless you keep an eagle eye everyday.

Grant
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Re: Growing trunks, Chinese quince.

Post by Asus101 »

Yeah I didnt think it would be wise to wire while in the ground unless i wanted to use the wire cutting in to form the gnarly trunks, and only then its very small cut marks....

Do you worry abut the nebari being exposed straight away or is it ok to leave until the first lift?
Young and hostile but not stupid.

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”