Next steps… mungo pine shohin

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Re: Next steps… mungo pine shohin

Post by dansai »

In general you only want 2 growing lines at any one point. So if one of them is the trunk, then you only leave one shoot. If it is the end of a shoot where there is 4 buds, leave 2.

When you grow a sacrifice branch, the branches you want to keep you can cut more regularly to keep the buds/shoots/needles close to the trunk. If the sacrifice is too strong and the lower buds are struggling, you can strip needles off the sacrifice so the tree keeps putting resources into the lower/closer in buds. I tend to do this anyways to prevent shading of the buds that I want, and just leave a strong central candle/shoot on the sacrifice.

And it should be fine to adjust the trunk now. It will be ok to let the wire bite in and cause a little swelling before you remove it. It will help with thickening, and also ensure it sets in place.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I don't have any problem bending pines while the tree is growing. I do avoid making sharp bends in junipers this time of year but have not had problems with pines or with smaller bends.
A bigger pot will definitely help with growth and development. If you decide to slip pot, make sure you tease out some outside roots when doing the change. Just putting a root ball into new soil without teasing out roots can lead to problems.
I think it may be a little late to be doing a full repot and full root prune this year but I'd encourage you to do that next spring so you can find out exactly how much trunk is below soil level and correct any root problems before they get bigger.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku Leptospermum Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

Thanks for clearing that up Dan! I had it confused. Too many YouTube videos 😑

I repotted earlier this year and while I did do some bending today, its roots aren’t holding it very well in the pot. I perhaps stuffed this one up. I’ve tied it down so hopefully the tree won’t move too much.

Would it be wise still to repot next spring or let the roots grow and support the tree better?

Thanks again guys, I appreciate it. Pines are much tougher than I thought 🤔
Mickey
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

If you have already repotted this year probably leave it alone next spring. It should grow well enough after a spring repot even if the pot is smallish as there should be room for roots and good, fresh soil so slip potting is not necessary and will probably be difficult if it is not well rooted in this soil already.
Sounds like it is time to let this one be for a while. It is possible to lavish a bit too much attention on a tree.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku Leptospermum Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

Thanks mate, I appreciate it. Slowly but surely I’m getting around to each prebonsai between building a new verge. Lots of plants and lots of work. I’ll take good care of this one and let it rest for now. Cheers mate!
Mickey

Return to “Pines and Junipers”