Something eating my JBP seedlings?

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Something eating my JBP seedlings?

Post by dansai »

A couple of days ago I had a few JBP seeds popping up their heads. A photo from today shows where they were at
IMG_3293.jpg

I went back into the greenhouse today to see if the cotyledons were out and couldn't find them. I did find a few of these though
IMG_3295.jpg

It would appear something has been having a nice little snack. It doesn't appear to be slugs/snails as there is no slime and the cut very clean. Obviously I want to protect the others and would like to know if anyone can confirm what creature may be possible? Or any other reason.

My thoughts are either crickets, grasshoppers or rodents. I haven't seen any scat around plants.

I'm thinking I'll need to do some sort of cover and can put mesh to keep out rodents and still allow light and air, but it would be less effective on a grasshopper, and wouldn't keep a cricket out. I definitely won't use any kind of poison as I have too many frogs and other wildlife about.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Something eating my JBP seedlings?

Post by shibui »

I'd try a rodent exclusion first. New germinated cotyledons are almost as good to eat as the seeds so all sorts of pests will eat them.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: crepe myrtle/juniper
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by PWC »

dansai wrote: September 10th, 2023, 6:13 pm A couple of days ago I had a few JBP seeds popping up their heads. A photo from today shows where they were atIMG_3293.jpg

I went back into the greenhouse today to see if the cotyledons were out and couldn't find them. I did find a few of these thoughIMG_3295.jpg

It would appear something has been having a nice little snack. It doesn't appear to be slugs/snails as there is no slime and the cut very clean. Obviously I want to protect the others and would like to know if anyone can confirm what creature may be possible? Or any other reason.

My thoughts are either crickets, grasshoppers or rodents. I haven't seen any scat around plants.

I'm thinking I'll need to do some sort of cover and can put mesh to keep out rodents and still allow light and air, but it would be less effective on a grasshopper, and wouldn't keep a cricket out. I definitely won't use any kind of poison as I have too many frogs and other wildlife about.
I have used clear plastic bottles before and worked well, you cut the base and top off and make a clear cylinder.
You could just cut the base off this leaves a smaller hole at the top but may increase the heat in inside depending how much sun it gets.
Peter.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dansai »

Id need a big plastic bottle to cover these!

I try the mesh and see how we go
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PWC »

looks like a small tube stock
Peter.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dansai »

yes, except there is over 150 of them

PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PWC »

See your point, not a scale I deal in.
Peter.
CalebH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by CalebH »

PWC wrote: September 10th, 2023, 6:31 pm
dansai wrote: September 10th, 2023, 6:13 pm A couple of days ago I had a few JBP seeds popping up their heads. A photo from today shows where they were atIMG_3293.jpg

I went back into the greenhouse today to see if the cotyledons were out and couldn't find them. I did find a few of these thoughIMG_3295.jpg

I have used clear plastic bottles before and worked well, you cut the base and top off and make a clear cylinder.
You could just cut the base off this leaves a smaller hole at the top but may increase the heat in inside depending how much sun it gets.
I made little holes in a plastic bottle, then there would be more air (and conditioning). Lots of little holes :) No rodents get in, no large insects either.
Plus there's no need to grow the plant outdoors while it's small. It can be transplanted when it grows up.
I like bonsai bonanza!

Return to “Pines and Junipers”